Tuesday, September 30

"Men despise religion. They hate it and are afraid it may be true. The cure for this is first to show that religion is not contrary to reason, but worthy of reverence and respect. Next make it attractive, make good men wish it were true, and then show that it is. Worthy of reverence because it really understands human nature. Attractive because it promises true good."

~excerpt from Pensees by Blaise Pascal (Pensees is an unfinished work with just a jumble of thoughts on Christianity that Pascal never got to put together)

I'm not even sure I completely agree with the above quote, but I find it worth thinking about. Pascal might not have been best known as a theologian, but he was certainly a smart man and he spent significant time thinking about Christianity later in his life. I just started reading the book (this was on page 2), so I'm sure there will be more to come.

No comments: